When it comes to information and how it’s consumed, it’s no secret that the world has shrunk. Today’s world has become one of instant gratification. Depending on the marketing medium, you have just seconds – or less – to get your message heard.
Don’t believe me? Consider this:
- The average speaker can get his message across in 200 words per minute. But how many minutes does she need to make her point?
- The average listener can take in 500 words per minute. But for how many minutes is he actually focusing on what’s being said?
- The average highway driver can take in just six words from a billboard before whizzing by.
- The average viewer takes just 7 seconds to consume a picture. It’s a good thing that a picture says 1,000 words.
- The average web surfer spends just 700 milliseconds on a website before deciding whether to stay or go.
That’s right, your website audience’s attention span is less than a second. So how do you capture that audience? By keeping your design simple, and your message short and sweet. Don’t make your audience work for what they’re looking for. They won’t bother looking; they’ll only bother clicking away.
And avoiding the dreaded click away is exactly why we kept today’s blog post short, sweet and to the point.